Audience: Project Managers, Estimators, Senior Managers, Owners
Accounting can be overwhelming at times! With this one-day course you will develop and understanding of accounting processes as it relates to construction projects. At the end of the day you will be able to:
- Understand the various types of contracts within the construction industry and the implications to the design of construction project financial management and stakeholder satisfaction.
- Understand the estimating process from bid to award to site mobilization.
- Be able to read and understand a General Summary Sheet of the bid and the steps to produce a Project Budget.
- Understand the various types of Change Order methods within construction contracts and the implications for Change Order reporting.
- Be able to link the site resources used for a change order to a Daily Extra Report and then to the accounting system.
- Be able to read financial statements: income statement, balance sheet, cashflow, job cost reports, and make decisions on a timely basis.
- Be able to forecast percentage of completion reports: projected income statements, job costing and cashflow to satisfy internal and external stakeholders such as banks and bonding companies.
- Understand and calculate various financial ratios used to understand financial reports and create company dashboards.
- Understand the holdback requirements of the Builder’s Lien Act and typical invoicing processes used at month end.
- Be able to calculate aged accounts payable and receivables separate from holdback amounts.
- Understand the importance of payroll reporting and being able to link this to the project schedule and labour productivity assumptions used by the estimating team.
- Understand the importance of procurement internal controls and the different methods used for recognition of revenue and expenses.
- Understand the normal close out processes and the reports expected for project budget vs. actual, deficiencies and warranties
Instructor Bio: Tim Williams MBA, B.Econ., CPA, GSC, is the President of BGC Partners Inc. Tim has worked with numerous construction companies for over twenty years. He is a Gold Seal Certified project manager. He is an experienced and sought after trainer who has trained construction owners and managers on behalf of construction industry associations across Western Canada.
For support or inquiries, please email email@example.com or call 1-844-MERIT4U. (637-4848)
MERIT Course Registration Cancellations, Transfers and Refunds
- Registered attendees can be transferred to another employee within the same company until the day of the course without any repercussions.
- Written cancellation prior to 10 business days in advance will be granted a full refund.
- Written cancellation 5-10 days in advance will be given 50% refund.
- Written cancellation less than 5 days in advance and no-show registrants will NOT be granted a refund.
- The Executive Director may override this policy if circumstances warrant.
- MERIT Contractors Association Saskatchewan does not issue credits.
- Cancellations of a course by MERIT due to unforeseen circumstances will result in all paid fees reimbursed by same method of payment.